FUJAIRAH, UAE - Fisheries inspectors are investigating the capture and killing of a mega bull shark in the seas off the northeast of the United Arab Emirates.
Eid Suleiman, a 50-year old fisherman, landed the 350kg, three metres long shark by fishing line in the emirate of Fujairah.
He went out after the shark and hunted it down because he says it was raiding their catches.
Suleiman said he used live fish as bait.
The news made headlines however this also caught the attention of the fishing authorities, concerned that the species is protected during a five month period, which is maintained each year, and the capture took place during this period.
It was the only way to stop it, Mr Suleiman told the UAE-based newspaper The National. Many fishermen were complaining about its behaviour and that made me decide to hunt it down."
I prepared a very strong fishing line, a big hook and live bait. I didnt expect it to be as big as it was but the fishermen were glad I managed to catch it.
Conservationists are up in arms over the culling of the shark, particularly as the shark was pregnant. Fifteen embryos were discovered in the shark's womb.
Suleiman could have his fishing license suspended for 6 months, however there is a coimplication.
The Ministry of Climate Change and Environment, said the shark was caught between the February 1 to June 30 ban announced last year. The period coincides with the sharks breeding season.
However, a change to the rules this year saw the ban reduced by a month and changed to run from March 1 to the end of June.
The problem for Mr Suleiman is the new regulations only come into force in March.